As most veteran mothers can attest to, what will later be five to ten pounds of joy can press on internal organs and throw your back and pelvis out of shape. When it comes time to deliver, the baby may be in a less-than-optimal position for delivery, even a breech position, which can result in a long, uncomfortable birth and require a C-section. The good news is that chiropractic treatment is particularly well-suited to the pregnant body, helping to relieve pain and tension, realign the spine, and open the hips and pelvis to make room for your growing baby.
The Impact Of Pregnancy On A Woman’s Body
During pregnancy, women experience many changes in their body, including:
- Changes in the pelvis that impact balance
- Abdominal protrusion as the baby grows
- Back pain, due to the strain that the growing stomach puts on it
- Changes in posture to attempt to balance the weight
- Increased back curve as the weight load on the lumbar spine changes
- Sciatic nerve pain that may result from the position of the baby
- Referred pain from pressure on the stomach, bladder, urethra, rectum, and pelvis
How Chiropractic Helps
Chiropractic, which focuses on keeping the spine properly aligned, can address many of the changes your body endures, control nausea, keep you healthier during the pregnancy, reduce pre-pregnancy and pregnancy-related pain, and even shorten delivery.
Many Doctors of Chiropractic have special training in prenatal treatment and even infertility. Some are certified in what is known as the Webster Technique, which helps balance the pelvis and reduce the tension of the round ligaments that support the uterus during pregnancy. They use special tables that adjust for the shape of the pregnant body and avoid techniques that put pressure on the abdomen. Because chiropractors often prescribe exercise to further the effects of their alignments, pregnant patients also benefit as they experience fewer mood swings, can handle stress better, sleep more comfortably, gain less weight, and have a faster recovery.
How Effective Is Chiropractic Treatment For Pregnant Women?
- A survey of chiropractors done in 2005 indicated that only a small number reported treating pregnant women, but they reported that 72% of pregnant patients claimed relief from the treatments.
- In other research of 950 pregnant women, 31% claimed that they used alternative treatments: chiropractic (6%), massage (32%), and yoga (18%).
- In surveys done among chiropractors, 82% reported using the Webster Technique to correct musculoskeletal causes of intrauterine constraint, which is connected to breech births. In 92% of cases, the fetal position was adjusted and the number of Caesarians and forceps births dropped. These findings are of great interest to the medical profession.
In addition, there are very few contraindications against obtaining chiropractic treatment during pregnancy. The conditions that rule out its use include vaginal bleeding, cramping, sudden onset pelvic pain, ruptured amniotic membranes, moderate to severe toxemia, ectopic pregnancy, and similar conditions that restrict many activities. Some techniques such as ultrasound, electrical stimulation, and radio diagnostic imaging are not recommended.
If you are pregnant and welcome a safe and effective approach to feeling relief from its discomforts, Raintree Medical and Chiropractic Center can help you feel more comfortable through alignments and exercise. Just schedule an appointment online or call us at (816) 623-3020. Ask about our massage and yoga classes specifically for pregnant women too!
There are no prerequired tutorials for this tutorial.